Monday, March 14, 2005

Celtics

I got to get something in writing about the Boston Celtics (okay, I know some of you want and expect this of me, so here you go), I mean the SIXTEEN TIME WORLD CHAMPION BOSTON CELTICS. I'm putting the wedding writing on hold so I can get this down before The Sports Guy beats me to it. If you are male and/or like sports and pop culture, Bill Simmons is the greatest columnist ever. He writes for ESPN Page 2. He used to be the Boston Sports Guy, but went national with an extreme Boston bias. Heres a link to his page: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/index
On to my first sports blog!
Danny Ainge took over as General Manager 2 years ago and promptly drove Antoine Walker out of town on a rail. I don't really remember the trade, but it involved a lot of tall, arthritic white guys. Not a good move. As my friend Charlie likes to point out, Ainge took a team that had just been to the Eastern Conference finals and traded one of it's best players for shit. The thinking was that by getting rid of Walker, Pierce would take over the team and we'd add complemtary players around him. Everyone thought Pierce was a superstar in the making and Walker was holding him back. Walker was not liked in Boston, he shot too much (He once responded to the question, "Why do you shoot so many 3's?" with, "Cause there ain't no 4's"), made bad game decisions, was a ball hog, and drove you crazy with his little shimmy dance at inappropriate times. Anyway, it turns out Pierce was not the next Jordan. He missed Antoine and sulked like a bitch. He mailed in a ton of games and the Celt's SUCKED. I think we missed the playoffs or lost in first round, whatever, they were awful.
In the off-season, we apparently had a good draft, but I really don't trust the draft and rookies. You just never know how they'll turn out. I vividly remember Rick Pitino introducing Chauncy Billups and Ron Mercer at Boston Garden as the "future back court of the Champion Boston Celtics" or some such dreck. Fucking asshole Pitino traded them both within a year. For fucking Vin Baker and a 1978 Chevette. Pitino was an asshole but my anger with him is sidetracking me, so let me just finish up with Pitino by saying that whatever his health problems are, I hope they kill him. Painfully. And I hope his family suffers. Just another quick aside, in the draft in which we got Billups and Mercer, the two picks before us were Duncan and Van Horn. That was the only reason Pitino took the job, he thought he was getting one of those two.
I'm fucking lost here, what am I talking about? I'm ranting about Pitino and a draft from 10 years ago? I apologize, let me start again here.
The Celts have won seven of their last eight and are gonna wrap up the Atlantic and take a three seed into the playoffs, Bouya! Why? Cause Antoine fucking Walker is back! I always loved Walker, regardless of anything else you may have heard. Pierce has got his running mate back and has been born again Hard! We traded Kenny Anderson and then resigned him, Ricky Davis is producing, and Mark Blount...well, he kinda sucks, maybe he'll turn it on in the playoffs.
My point here? Danny Ainge is a genius and saved this season. We can play with anyone know, as we have been proving, and why the fuck not? The Pats take 3 in 4 years, the Red Sox beat the yankees and win the World Series for the first time in 87 years, so why not? I didn't think detroit stood a chance last year, so you never know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home